1. I think it was a little early to bury the Steelers. They seemed filled with resolve as they really owned the line of scrimmage against the Jets on Sunday in Pittsburgh. Ben Roethlisberger made play after play when needed and the Steelers defense, missing James Harrison and Troy Polamalu, was simply dominant against the Jets after the first quarter. Pitt may be a little old on defense, but they are still savvy.
2. Kansas City is a disaster right now. They've gotten blown out in both games, after getting embarrassed in Buffalo yesterday. The Chiefs have all kinds of defensive issues, and go to 0-2 New Orleans next week. Could get ugly early for the Chiefs.
3. Speaking of New Orleans, they clearly miss Sean Payton more than they're willing to admit. Losing your head coach isn't an easy thing, and the Saints are showing they miss Payton's leadership now. I thought the Saints would take a step back without him...starting to look like I'm going to be right.
4. Stunning loss by the Patriots. Arizona goes into New England to knock off the Patriots, who lose Aaron Hernandez early in the game to an ankle injury. Something seems amiss with the Pats right now. They'll get it together, but they face Baltimore on the road in week 3 and could very well be 1-2 after 3 weeks.
6.Eli Manning had an awful first half, and then an astoundingly good second half as the Giants came back to beat Tampa. Manning threw for 510 yards as the Bucs continuously left Aqib Talib 1 on 1 with Hakeem Nicks, who burned him every time. I have NO CLUE what Greg Schiano and his defense were doing. As for the end of the game....going after the qb on a kneeldown...no other way to say it....it's bush league. You're not at Rutgers anymore Coach Schiano. That kind of stuff will get you a BAD reputation in this league.
7. Philadelphia has got to be the luckiest 2-0 team in the league. They turn it over all the time, having done so 9 times in 2 games. They were VERY LUCKY to beat the Browns last week, and then eeked out a win at home against Baltimore. You take wins anyway you can get them in the NFL, but Philly better clean it up fast or it's going to come back to haunt them in a big way later in the season.
8. Houston and San Fran look like the 2 best teams early on. The 49ers have beaten to very formidable opponents in the Packers and Lions, while the Texans have feasted on the Dolphins and Jaguars. You can clearly see how good these two teams are though. Both are very much headed for the playoffs, and possible 1 seeds.
9. I thought the refs were actually a little worse this week than last week. Some badly missed calls, some calls that looked like phantom calls, bad communication on figuring things out. They're going to cost someone a game at some point. The regular refs and NFL need to come to some sort of agreement soon. This is going to be bad for the game.
10. Parity...after tonights game, assuming there isn't a tie, 21 of the 32 teams in the league are going to be 1-1. Some feeling better than others, but either way, most teams go into week 3 feeling like they're still in pretty good shape.
By the way, I like Denver tonight on the road. Peyton Manning is always brilliant inside. Atlanta lose cornerback Brent Grimes for the season last week. Peyton is not the guy you wanna see when without your best corner. Broncos 34, Atlanta 30.